Leadership has more to do with people than with the nature of the endeavour to which it is applied.
Leaders need to believe three things;
- You are in this world to make a difference
- You cannot get anywhere unless you know two things,
i. – Where you are now
ii. – Where you are trying to get to
3. What separates a great business leader from another, is one thing –
The People. It is the people in businesses that make them great. And Leaders who understand this, have a great Business.
A recent survey research has shown that employers believe that:
- more than 50% of employees lack the motivation to keep learning or improving.
- 4 in 10 people are unable to work co-operatively
- Only 19% of entry level applicants have adequate self-discipline for their jobs
Leaders are no longer commanders who rule by force or by fear – though we find many in positions of power who attempt to control their organisations in this way!!
The most effective leaders, those who contribute most strongly to the creation of such high-performance teams, are those who:-
- Have absolute clarity about their purpose and priorities.
- Know what the role boundaries are among members of the leadership group.
- Build leadership at all levels of the business.
- Promote high standards and have high expectations of all staff.
- Manage staff performance with fairness and integrity.
Leaders today must
- and act with integrity.
This is the only way that they can create the environment in which team members can perform at their best. And this is what the most effective leaders do. This means that leaders at all levels must provide personal, and organisational leadership.
The leadership journey realistically only finds its true destination when the leader has the level of self-awareness that enables a realistic understanding of the likely response to a variety of situations they will encounter.
Only then will the leader have the ability to manage themselves or to understand the people they meet.
Emotionally intelligent leadership is a far removed from the kind of personal dominance prevalent in the past. It is not reliant on manipulation, threat or punishment, but neither is it ‘warm and fuzzy’ that kills performance with kindness.
This type of approach is based on the misguided assumption that the best way to get performance from people is:
· to create harmony,
· to keep people happy,
· to deal with their personal needs and look after their feelings when they do not perform to expectations – because ‘they feel bad enough knowing they have failed’.
The impact of this style, is that people believe the leader
· does not have the strength to make tough decisions,
· that they play favourites,
· that you can get away with anything if you have a good story!
As a result people do not know where they stand, and ultimately, will find their work unrewarding.
The best leaders focus their thinking on helping people feel energised. They are clear about their responsibilities, and focussed on the business target and their progress towards it.
They provide empathy, not sympathy to their people!
Believing that strategy can only be achieved through people they:
- Discuss and implement a clear a sense of direction for the organisation.
- Set targets and elicit staff input on the best way to hit it.
- Sell the vision describing the target in terms of the organisations, and their own potential for success.
- Set performance standards and K.P.I,’s and hold everyone accountable for meeting them. They don’t tolerate mediocrity.
Staff contentment and satisfaction follow then from the knowledge that their jobs have been well done.
Good Leaders :
– Exert strong and versatile leadership, and adapt to the needs of their staff.
– They raise individual capability and promote individual role clarity
– They realise how the influence of their leadership can raise standards and how to link rewards (recognition and praise rather than monetary reward) to performance more strongly.
Book a call:https://calendly.com/personalcall/15min
Who am I: http://flow.page/peteokeeffe
Youtube Chanel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxAo4mEYJzLxFXDSUzX252A